Friday, December 19, 2008

PRESCRIPTIONS

If I were coming, I would try to have my normal re-fill supply with me. Carry them with you, and the appropriate label and bottle should show that they are for you, and prescribed by a doctor.

There is a whole list of pharmaceuticals that are AVAILABLE AT THE US NAVY HOSPITAL that was given to us so that we could see if what we are prescribed are okay to be dispensed from the Naval Hospital here. So, be mindful that some medications are restricted and they might not be able to give them to you (think controlled substances). All our meds were on that long list, so we have no problems.

I don't know what to do about diabetics. My mom has the mini-shots kind, so screening at the airport is always fun. I have several friends with the pumps who travel with supplies. I'd bring my prescription. The Naval Hospital here was awesome. One of our medications is a new one, and they had to special order it in. But it got here quickly, and have supported our continued need.

I miss Group Health!!! It was so easy getting refills through the mail. I don't see why they couldn't send it to you here, either. EXCEPT, they'd have to fill out a customs form to send you medications, and they'd have to know if it's okay, and I don't know if that's going to happen. I have never tried this. I am currently researching Blue Cross, who is going to stick me with full cost of some meds (didn't I say it was a 'new' medication?) if I don't order through the mail. I am currently researching if it is okay to do this.

When we PCSed, I had a new re-fill supply (give us time to situate ourselves) and had made a doctor's appointment with Group Health before we switched over to ask for an official Rx prescription. It was a special print-out with the doctor's scribble. I hand carried it to the pharmacy here. That way I could get my meds without having to see a doctor here, first. Of course, we now have to see the doctor here to ensure it's still what we need, as it was only for a few re-fills.

I packed in my luggage a certain amount of children's liquid medications. Japan (like our PUD water supplier out in Crosby area) doesn't fluoridate the water. Small children often get the liquid form. Can't carry too much of that liquid stuff on the plane with you, anymore! I did have a small amount of baby tylenol with me, as any kid can spike a fever during a 10 hour flight!

The NEX and commissary carry the traditional aspirin, Tylenol, Ibuprofen, cold meds, children's meds. So once you are situated, and if you need it, you can get it here.

WARNING Something the Japanese will absolutely not let anyone have here is the cold medication (and some allergy drugs) that contains the drug that they make meth from. Pseudephedrine, I think it's called. Japan has strict anti-stimulant laws. Look at the label of our over-the-counter stuff, and make sure NOT to bring that type of medication with you. Sorry, gotta go with the other kind.

Spring can bring allergy season to Japan. You'll see people wearing masks, not because they are sick, but because they have allergies. Mid-march begins the blooming season here, and it lasts a long time! Plum blossoms, cherry blossoms, Japanese cedar...

The American Embassy says what the laws are.

1 comment:

The Anthony Family said...

Medco (Fed BX/BS mail pharmacy) does ship to FPO addresses. We have gotten our Rx's with little to no hassle. I had to phone them to change our address since I could not do it on-line. We had to call an automated number to verify the address was correct at one point. However, we have gotten 4 Rx's in 3 weeks - no problems. HOWEVER, it pays to do your homework as name-brand will cost you (I really miss Costco...). In those cases... well, do your homework. We had to take it in the shorts on one. Get generic if possible! Check the Medco formulary for generics of your Rx before coming.
As for diabetes supplies: other than pump supplies, these come from Medco also. We called to verify before coming. They will overnight the insulin and pack it with cold packs - just like in the States. Pump supplies come from a different pharmacy and they have been extremely helpful and supportive.
Another good idea: come with paper Rx from your Dr(s) in case you need to get something filled ASAP. The worst that could happen is that you would have to pay for it.