Thursday, December 11, 2008

Convenience Stores



Convenience stores or Konbini in Japanese (KOHn-bee-nee) are everywhere. 7-11, Lawson, and Family Mart are the most common.

I used to call them my big refrigerator. The extra quart of milk, eggs, soda or beer, it's there, and it's cold!!! Yes, you pay a bit more for the convenience.

Japan is a cash based society. So, small credit card purchases are rare. Cash is best. Some stores only take cash. Look for the VISA logo (just like in America) as to whether the store will take your card.

These places even have food to go that you look at what it is, and buy it if it looks good. These are very fresh and good. My Japanese friend tried to convince me of this before I came. She told me how they check almost hourly for freshness. After living at the Hello Lodge across from the 7-11 near Hotel New Yokosuka when my husband was TDY for 3 weeks, I can tell you that I saw the trucks come and go, and they are fresh. And when tired, and you just want to eat, a very convenient way to get food. My favorite is fried chicken chunks with rice to the side. It's like your spouse left you some food, and you just have to re-heat it.

The basement of Sakaya on blue street has really good food. More money, but quality stuff. About 6:30 it goes on half-price. So, if you're leaving the gates about that time of night, it's a good dinner.

Japan kitchens are so small that these foods that take special ingredients or a lot of time to prepare, they just buy in small quantities (for one meal). Side dish shops are common. It's like home cooking fast food, or deli sections at Fred Meyer. Don't spend the time and energy to do it yourself.

No comments: