Saturday, December 13, 2008

GETTING CASH


Getting yen... there are several ways to do it.  Have cash to convert (have passport available when you go to banks or money changing places near the main gate).  You can go to the Alliance club on the second floor of the main gate building, and look for a small teller booth.  That will all be done in English.

The best ATM rates may be at the Japanese post office.  Yes, people do their banking there.  This is at the main post office in Yokosuka.  It has an English button you press, and you're set!  As any ATM away from home does, it charges you a sum for your transaction.  This is a pretty good exchange rate, but when you're talking a buck or two per hundred, you have to ask yourself is it worth the hassle?  

There are ATMS on base.  You can get yen out of the Community Bank (operated by Bank of America) outside the main gate, outside the NEX, across from FISC, and outside of the bank at the PSD building.  Just press withdraw in yen.  WARNING:  Since the exchange rate has changed, I am now going over the $300 withdrawl limit when I take out 30000 yen.  My bank has flagged my account that it might be mis-used.  You might have to call them, and set this up.  When we got here last March, it costed me roughly $282 for that much yen.  Now it's $320.

There is a Navy Federal Credit Union on base (near the bowling alley) with an ATM there, one at the NEX complex (glass doors by the commissary) and I think one across from FISC.  But, you can only get cash in American currency, which is what is used on base.

I use my debit card and get cash at the commissary when I'm checking out my groceries.

I haven't used an ATM at a local bank yet.  I have cashed in travelers checks.  They give the best rates on travelers checks (fax in the numbers, versus dealing with what to do with some American bills).  But, by the time I pay for the travelers checks and run around to do it all, unless I'm needing more than $2000, it's not worth the hassle.

4 comments:

Sebastian said...

There is also a drive up Community Bank ATM next to the SRF parking garage. It is sort of squeezed in between the garage and the buildings next to the CPO club.

Tim Putaansuu said...

There's also a Navy Federal cash machine on the second floor of the Fleet Rec building. Just to the right of the elevators and down the hall a few feet. Good for when you need some cash to buy a lunch...

hippchip said...

I thought that travelers checks were free at NFCU

Luke and Brandy said...

The 7/11 outside the main gate has a better exchange rate than U.S. Bank ATMs on base.