Thursday, December 11, 2008

Commissary



With ID from the shipyard, orders, etc. The employee is allowed in the commissary. Technically, as I understand it, the spouse is not (unless you're current or retired military, then you have the ID and woo hoo). I am told that this is the rules. They won't allow girlfriends of officers in. They know that the girlfriend then makes the shopping list, and the guy goes in and tries his best before being told that he bought the wrong KIND of horseradish sauce... "No, honey, I wanted the Beaver kind in the special deli, not the Kraft brand by the cheeses."

What might help, is that your significant other can get you a diagram of the store. Just ask for it at the ID place.


If they don't have your brand, they have something very much like it. They also will bend over backwards to help. If something is out on the shelf, they will go and look in the back for you. I have been impressed by the variety considering it is a small store. Just because they have it in stock today, does not mean they'll have it tomorrow. Buy the ingredients before committing to the recipe!

Meat, for the most part, is far cheaper than off-base. All chicken comes frozen for salmonella reasons. I have gotten chicken breast off base very fresh and reasonably priced. For some reason, the Japanese prefer the thigh and dark meats, so you can get a deal! There is a frozen section where the item didn't sell, so they freeze it and give a discount.

Produce has a nice selection. I can find cheaper off base. But not always. They do get some local good deals, and stock a few items I can't get elsewhere.

Milk is highly processed to make it here with plenty of expiration date left. Darigold is the brand I use, as the other sometimes has clumps in it. I was told when touring the commissary with my son's pre-school class, that it is due to the processing style they use. Even if it isn't spoiled, I just can't take a clump of milk.

SODA POP is far cheaper than off base, and you'll get brands and American tastes you recognize.

The Produce Platters and Deli Platters are EXCELLENT. Order and pay a few days ahead for those parties! Let them do the work! I've been impressed and less stressed.

It is crowded Friday afternoon, Saturdays, and before holidays. For items and schedule, click here.

There are self check-out lanes. If you go through a checker line, be advised that the baggers work on TIPS (own discretion here, good luck... I go by a small percentage, but add on if many bags, how far from the car, etc.) There is a surcharge (a small tax) to your purchases that I was unofficially told goes to upgrading or building new stores.

No comments: