Saturday, December 13, 2008

In the Case of an Emergency

Call 119.  They'll figure out you're American, and where you are.  On base, it's 911.  They might even take you to the hospital on base.  But remember that's the emergency number.  Or, get to a koban (police box).

Okay, I've not gotten shaken up too badly since being here, but earthquakes do occasionally happen.  TDY season doesn't really coincide with Typhoon season, so no worries.  If you think you've felt a tremblor, I go to the Japan Meteorological website.  You can get it in English, and you go to the left and click on earthquakes, and within 5 minutes, they're usually posted, so I can prove to my husband that we did have one.

Yokosuka is in a bay, so tsunamis aren't as big of threat, even if one happens. 

However, if something happens, run where the Japanese are running!  You will see running man signs, and basically you 'run with the man' to the safe place.  If there is a role-call muster in your local area, do it there.  They work with the base and will let them know you are there, I'm told.  So, don't feel like you have to try to get back on base.

I do keep a bit of water and a few items like flashlights and a power bar or two, just to get through a short spell.  Better safe than sorry, is the adage I follow.

I don't post this to concern anyone, but to give you knowledge of where to go and what to do.  You must determine the best structural place, or outside place for you to be, or where your family should congregate.  It is good to make sure you know the stairs route out of your building.  When I came with my TDY husband and stayed at Hello Lodge, we took a gander at the outside emergency exit system, as well.

I love it.  At the Japanese kindergartens I've looked at, they all had slides for the kids to exit quickly the second stories.  Sounds fun to me!!!

1 comment:

The Anthony Family said...

To get the on-base emergency line from a cell, dial: 046-816-0911
Program it.
This was realized when my kid (life of the party that he is) bounced his way out of the bounce house and landed in the ER. Somebody noticed that 911 is not recognized as an emergency number when dialed on a cell phone (since it is the Japan cell towers).
It sounds so obvious in hindsight...